So it's finals week and students all over the world are preparing to wrap up the Spring 2010 semester. Congratulations, we're almost there. Libraries across the country will be giving you CRUNK and lookin like all types of free before 11 lines at the club. We're talking sun up to sun down and all up and in between. There are some rules of thumb to your over nighters in the library. Remember, libraries are public places, communal spaces filled with furniture, computers and appliances that are to be shared.. In other words, you ain't at home so keep the following rules of library etiquette in mind.
1. Umm You're Loud- Be mindful of the volume of your music while in the library. A little background diddy to keep you focused while you bang out your paper is one thing. But, now is not the time nor the place for you to be quotin lyrics and doing video dance choreography. Your headphones are in your head, hunny I don't want to hear what you listening to. Take it easy
2. Bus Your Tables- We all know, no study session is complete without a couple rounds of junk food. But have some decency in your snacking. Discard all wrappers, bags, condiments, etc in the trash and for God sake rid your table, couch, desk, study space of all crumbs and food remnants when you leave. Don't be trifling and yes I'm judging.. SMH
3. Cover YOUR Mouth- Libraries are a breeding ground for all manner of botchulism and disease. People have colds, viruses etc and sit at the same tables and share the same computer keyboards, desks, chairs, mice etc. that we all use. Please bear this in mind. If you've got the sniffles, arm yourself with the medications, tissues and hand sanitizers you need to ensure your germs are not spread the next unsuspecting immuno-deficient library patron. Please and THANKS!
4. Be Considerate in Your Napping- Now I'd be a lie if I ever said I've never been man down sleep in the library. It happens but please try to be as considerate as possible in your sleeping. This means if you are prone to snoring, talking in your sleep, drooling etc. take the proper precautions. Sleep on your hands or throw a towel, sweatshirt, or something between your face and whatever it is you're laying on to catch your face juice. Also hoodies or something to cover your face not only muffle snores and heavy breathing but they will limit opportunities for people to photograph you and post all type of black mail folly on the world wide web. Also have a buddy, somebody to tap you if you get loud. And please, set an alarm. A nap is a nap, don't be up in the library sleeping for an extended amount of time, Looking all homeless! SMH!
5. Rinse, Lather and Repeat- Cramming is a state of emergency for most students but the responsibilites of proper hygiene are not to be ignored. Being in the library all night is not, and I repeat NOT, an excuse to not have washed your tail, brushed your teeth and/or changed your clothes for a few days. BO (Body Odor) in the library is such a distraction.. nothing interrupts your thought process like stank breath and musty pits. So please, take the half hour it takes to refresh after a long night of studying. It's worth it on so many levels. An runnin a comb or brush through you crown in glory wouldn't either.. no shade.. #justsaying :-)
Feel free to share these pearls of wisdom and let me know if you've got other things to add to the list.
Till Next Time,